Monday, January 07, 2008

Smoking restricted In Germany



I would never have thought this would happen in my lifetime: Smoking banned inside restaurants and bars in ermany! Partly it has to do with being a smoker at the time I moved to Germany and having moved from the US where smoking was already restricted.
I still remember stepping off then plane @ Frankfurt and being able to light up in the airport. Back at the Dallas airport, I had to go outside if I wanted a cigarrette, which meant having to clear security every time I wanted (ok, needed) to smoke. Germany was like heaven (smoking wise) for me. It seemed like there were cigarrette machines everywhere in Germany as well. I mean not just next to the bathrooms in bars/restaurants but like next to a farm down the street from where I live, there's a cigarrette machine set up. That still goes though the machines no longer accept cash. You need to put in a bank card, the logic being that kids are less likely to have a bank card and thus its harder for them to buy cigarettes.
I've not smoked for a few years now and haven't had much opportunity to frequent bars after my first kid was born. It came as quite a shock when I saw people huddled around an outdoor heater when I met some freinds for a drink the other day. The american newspapers seem to be convering the ban on smoking in France as if it is an affront to their culture (the french will cry and moan about every little thing and eventually do nothing about it. The Germans just accept that some things need change and deal with it without the crying and moaning) but have hardly covered what's happening in Germany, where coffee culture invented the coffee and the cigarrette (I just made that up. I have no idea if its actually true though my experience leads me to beleive there may be something to it)
As usual, the law is not quite so simple. Laws differ by what state it is. Check out the graphic below:

Seems like in Berlin (which in my estimation would be the birthplace of coffee with a cigarette), things have hardly changed. The only places where its restricted are schools, discos (huh?) and hotels.
Smoking's though has been banned at the airports in Hessen, which is where Frankfurt is. There goes the thrill that any future Americans will experience of landing in Germany and being able to light up without clearing security.

No comments: